Latest

Completing the Picture - New circular economy and climate change paper presented at the COP25

December 09, 2019
Cloud Widescreen

The Ellen MacArthur Foundation joins business and government leaders at the UN Climate Change Conference (COP25) in Madrid to present its latest paper Completing the Picture: How the Circular Economy Tackles Climate Change, published in collaboration with Material Economics.

The paper, released today in Portuguese and Spanish, reveals the need for a fundamental shift in the global approach to tackling climate change. The announcement took place as part of a Presidency session hosted by Chile on circular economy and climate change.

Originally launched in September 2019 as part of Climate Week NYC, the paper outlines that moving to renewables can only address 55% of global greenhouse gas emissions. To achieve UN climate goals, the paper highlights the urgent need to tackle the remaining 45%, and demonstrates the potential of the circular economy by looking at five key areas - steel, plastic, aluminium, cement, and food.

Adopting a circular economy framework in these areas can achieve a reduction totalling 9.3 billion tonnes of greenhouse gases in 2050. This is equivalent to eliminating current emissions from all forms of transport globally. These examples provide a clear message to other industries – such as fashion, electronics, and packaging – of the value the circular economy can offer.

Diet shift, emerging innovations, and carbon capture and storage are the final pieces required to complete the picture of how the world can achieve net-zero emissions by 2050.

By publishing the paper in multiple languages, the Ellen MacArthur Foundation calls on business and government leaders from Latin America and beyond to adopt the circular economy as a vital framework for building thriving and resilient economies while combating climate change.

Read the paper in your language of choice to understand how the circular economy completes the picture for climate change solutions: Portuguese, Spanish, English, Chinese.

We have detected that you are using an older browser. Please update to the latest version of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Microsoft Edge to improve your user experience.

If you are unable to upgrade your browser, please see our Technical FAQ page to get tips on how to improve your user experience.