If you are unable to upgrade your browser, please see our Technical FAQ page to get tips on how to improve your user experience.
The need - Recognising that a circular economy can support and future proof Scottish businesses, further evidence base and direction-setting were needed to realise potential opportunities.
The solution - In 2017, Circular Glasgow, a joint initiative from Glasgow Chamber of Commerce and Zero Waste Scotland, commissioned a consultancy to identify hotspot sectors and map new circular economy business opportunities.
The outcomes - The learnings and experience from Circular Glasgow have been adapted and developed to suit different cities and regions in Scotland. Building on the best practices, the Glasgow Chamber of Commerce continues to develop and contributes to meeting certain ambitions of the national government’s economic strategy and climate change proposals and policies.
How does the initiative support the transition to a circular economy? - The initiative sets out a circular economy vision for Glasgow, together with practical steps for the city and business community, which work towards supporting economic development, resource recovery and reuse, and carbon reductions.
Explore more about Circular Economy in Cities
This case study belongs to the Ellen MacArthur Foundation’s Circular Economy in Cities suite of online resources, which acts as a reference point for urban policymakers on the circular economy. It draws out opportunities in three key urban systems - buildings, mobility, and products - and looks at how city governments can enable a circular economy transition.
Five modules aim to answer the critical questions on this topic:
- Vision: What will the implementation of circular economy principles in cities look like?
- Factsheets: What are the circular economy opportunities in key urban systems and what benefits can a circular economy transition bring?
- Policy levers: What can urban policymakers do to accelerate this transition?
- Case studies: What examples are there of urban policymakers already putting this into action?
- Other networks & resources: What are other organisations doing on the topic of circular economy and cities?